Often, the case for implementing a tank monitoring solution is connected to reducing expenses or increasing revenue. An equally important consideration is to mitigate the risks associated with managing tanks.
Remote Tank Monitoring has many types of associated risks. This is especially true if the tanks are situated far from the main centers of population, where they are not easily monitored on a daily basis. Companies use tanks located in remote locations for many reasons. Fuel stations are one of the more common uses for remote tanks, but tanks and bins are used for many different types of liquids and dry materials, including road construction and agriculture.
The primary risks associated with managing remote tanks include:
- Environmental disasters from spills, leaks and unauthorized entry
- Excessive emissions from hatches left open
- Health and safety issues
- Unscheduled shutdowns and process delays from inadequate inventory
Without the ability to monitor these tanks remotely, managing these risks manually will result in higher operational costs. Additionally, any issue will only be uncovered when a scheduled inspection/maintenance takes place. . An error or act of vandalism or theft could result in significant costs to your company and possibly even fines and substantial legal bills.
A Remote Tank Monitoring Solution will:
- Provide real time alarm systems. High/low level sensor and leak detection sensors can be utilized to notify operators instantly if a leak is detected. An email or text message alarm can be initiated and sent to key stakeholders so they address the situation immediately, before the situation escalates.
- Control valves that can be opened and closed remotely to prevent unauthorized entry.
- Monitor hatches to ensure they are closed and remain closed. Instant notification can be sent by email or text message to stakeholder’s if/when the hatch is opened.
- Improve safety by keeping employees off the tank(s), no need for manual tank readings Inventory can be monitored and controlled simply and safely from a desktop or notebook computer in an office or from an operator’s cell phone while sitting in their vehicle.
- Inventory management has never been easier. Set your min/max inventory alarms and wait for the email or text message to notify all the associated stakeholders.
The Case for Investing in a Remote Monitoring System to Mitigate Risk
Quite simply, the cost for implementing an automated remote tank monitoring solution to manage your remote tanks automatically and provide real time monitoring will be far less than manual inspection and management of the tank. The cost for the hardware and monthly monitoring for one year will be similar to the cost of three months of manual monitoring. In addition to costs savings, implementing a remote tank monitoring solution will let know if your tanks are functioning as designed, communicate current volumes/levels and, if there is a problem, you will be instantly alerted, thereby improving security, minimizing downtime and mitigating risk.
Tank Monitoring Solution
Implementing a remote monitoring solution can help you to mitigate the risks that have been addressed.
Asset Monitoring Solutions’ eTankdataTM was designed for the efficient, real-time monitoring of tanks. The unique feature of eTankdataTM is the mobility it provides while managing the system. You have access to the cloud server to monitor and control tank inventory anytime, anywhere, from a desktop computer and mobile devices. You can check inventory levels, set up and monitor alarms as well as analyze historical data all from your smartphone.
eTankdata’sTM cellular communication provides access to the cloud where eTrackdataTM automates the data collection process from remote tanks. You can organizer all of your tanks (by location, facility, etc.) and also manage user access and their levels of permission.
– Automated tank monitoring inventory. No manual checks.
– Optimize logistics and increase efficiency of field operations.
– Mitigate risk with real time inventory and alarm notification.